Agreement 2: Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.Is there truth and usefulness to this perspective? Undoubtedly. Is it absolutely true or accurately stated? Not even close. I’ve often seen people utilize this agreement is as follows:
- When someone says something good about you, that’s about you. Enjoy!
- When someone says something bad about you, that’s about them. Dismiss!
- “How you heard the tone of my voice is just your interpretation.”
- “Well, that’s just your opinion.”
- “I guess I just see it differently.”
- “You have preconceived notions about me that are affecting your judgment.”